Thread: Pass Me The Red Hat!

1. Join Date
    Apr 2010

Wink Pass Me The Red Hat!

I had an interesting conversation on Facebook this weekend (you are not my friend yet? Friend me!) – all about several experiences that I had recently about my weight and self image. You see – I have come to a place in my life – where I am feeling pretty good about myself – most of the time. In fact – most of the time - I feel pretty fabulous. It just that sometimes how we see and or feel about ourselves is not how others see or feel about us. Recently – one of the GYN’s that I call on -suggested that I check out his new weight loss products. Here I was swishes into his office – all fabulous – and to him I was a fat girl in need of an intervention. The difference between me three years ago – and now – is that three years ago – I would have cried. This time – I actually laughed. But later – it did bother me. As a friend of mine said – “This weight thing is always lurking somewhere in the background.” I hate that.
    red_hat_1.jpg
    I think that I would rather be one of these older women who wear red hats and purple dresses. You know the ones. They belong to The Red Hat Society” - and that hat signifies that they are now old enough to say what they want, and to do what they want in a completely shameless and unapologetic way. They have arrived, and they want to have fun, and be a little silly. Perhaps you can be of any age to join the Red Hats, but I also saw them as older women. Perhaps, because I tied the Red Hat Ladies together in my mind with this wonderful poem about aging and finally being free to be:
    When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
    With a red hat which doesn’t go and doesn’t suit me.
    And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
    And satin sandals, and say we’ve no money for butter.
    I shall sit down on the pavement when I’m tired
    And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
    And run my stick along the public railings
    And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
    I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
    And pick the flowers in other people’s gardens . .

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
    So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
    When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

womaninredhat.jpg

I think that I am going to start wearing purple a little more often. I am not sure about the red hat. For me, a part of living a shameless and unapologetic life has been around healing the issues that I have continually struggled with around my own body image, and how I perceive myself. It’s been a real journey for me to finally get to where I am – and when I look around at other women who seem to embody how I want to feel about myself in the world I always seem to come back to ladies like Mo’Nique or Queen Latifah.
    These women really talk to me. They embody and project how I choose to face each day. I totally get them – and I love their out of the box sexiness. The way they look at the world and make no apologies for their lives and their bodies. I love how they shake their hips, their round asses and flaunt who they are in the world. They believe that they are Sex Goddesses on a cellular level and really project what so many of us work so hard at understanding – sexiness comes from the inside out. How can you not look at these women and not see “Hot” in their plus size bodies? It’s all about how we feel about ourselves and how we present that feeling to the world. I love that. And I want more images of that for young girls and women.
    I have spent a life time learning to love my body and feel my own sexiness. It isn’t always easy work loving my size 14 shape – and I have been bigger. And I can be knocked back into a place of self consciousness way too easily – I am noticing.
    I have spent a great deal of time standing naked in front of a mirror (not for the weak of heart) really learning to love exactly who I am at each given moment. I recommend it. I have even had sexy pictures taken of myself so that I could see myself as a sensual and erotic being – all 170 pounds of me. It is odd to say that it was hard work doing a lot of what I have done to work through my own body issues – but being on the path to self acceptance and healing all of my hurt parts around my body has been one of the biggest struggles of my life. And I am not there yet. I have had days where I wake up and have an Atkins Breakfast, move on to Weight Watchers at lunch and slide into South Beach at dinner! I still fret, but I have stopped hating my body most of the time. It is a practice to move into feeling sexy from the inside out. And you have to stay on top of it!
    Because let’s face it, It can be hard to hold onto...

Read the rest here
    Last edited by Dan; 06-03-2010 at 02:16 PM.

Thread Information